A tension headache is the most common type of headache. It is pain or discomfort in the head, scalp, or neck, and is often associated with muscle tightness in these areas.
Tension headaches occur when neck and scalp muscles become tense, or contract. The muscle contractions can be a response to stress, depression, head injury, or anxiety.
They may occur at any age, but are most common in adults and older teens. It is slightly more common in women and tends to run in families.
Any activity that causes the head to be held in one position for a long time without moving can cause a headache. Activities may include typing or other computer work, fine work with the hands, and using a microscope. Sleeping in a cold room or sleeping with the neck in an abnormal position may also trigger a tension headache.
Read more at: https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/000797.htm
What are migraines?
Migraines are a recurring type of headache. They cause moderate to severe pain that is throbbing or pulsing. The pain is often on one side of your head. You may also have other symptoms, such as nausea and weakness. You may be sensitive to light and sound.
What causes migraines?
Researchers believe that migraine has a genetic cause. There are also a number of factors that can trigger a migraine, including
- Hormonal changes in women
- Bright or flashing lights
- Loud noises
- Strong smells
- Too much or not enough sleep
- Sudden changes in weather or environment
- Overexertion (too much physical activity)
Migraine Causes :
Migraine Causes & attacks may be triggered by any of the following:
- Caffeine withdrawal
- Changes in hormone levels during a woman’s menstrual cycle or with the use of birth control pills
- Changes in sleep patterns, such as not getting enough sleep
- Drinking alcohol
- Exercise or other physical stress
Migraines can also be triggered by certain foods. Most common are:
- Dairy foods, especially certain cheeses
- Foods with monosodium glutamate (MSG)
- Foods with tyramine, which includes red wine, aged cheese, smoked fish, chicken livers, figs, and certain beans;;;
Read more at: https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/000709.htm